Tuesday, March 11, 2008


RIP, Dave Stevens (July 25, 1955-March 10, 2008)
Comic artist and creator of the Rocketeer Dave Stevens passed away yesterday after a long battle with Leukemia. Stevens is my dad's favorite artist, and one of my earliest artistic influences. I think I've sketched scenes and poses from every single issue of Rocketeer, particularly those featuring Betty Page. His death is a real loss to the artistic community, and he will be greatly missed--especially by the Madisons. So long, Dave, and enjoy the skies!

2 comments:

Dusenberry said...

Indeed, quite a loss. He was a great talent. We watched The Rocketeer to pay homage to him in the Palace tonight when I heard the news.

Mike Caracappa said...

You know, I never read the comic, but it's one of my all time favorite movies. I was 10 when that movie came out, and I loved it so much, I actually dressed up as the Rocketeer that year for Halloween. My dad and I went up to Griffith Observatory and he took pictures of me running up the stairs by the telescope and other areas! Unfortunatly, I think those pictures are long gone or buried somewhere in our garage, but it's still one of my favorite memories as a kid. And I think it's one of the most fun movies ever made.