Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The 2011 Film Project
Part I: Shoot on the Butte

I joined a group of friends in some filmmaking hijinks over the weekend. The indefatigable Emma Coats (director of the upcoming Hitchhiker) led us to the top of a mountain, and we returned at the end of the day with shots worthy of a David Lean picture.

Against all of my animation training, I venture outside to make a film.


After an hour of hiking, we reach our location: the summit of a butte. And let me tell you, the view was a real beaut indeed.


I may only be an extra in the film, but the props make the job worthwhile.


Erick watches over the camera. Witness protection asked us to keep his face concealed in all images.


At the end of her film's first weekend of shooting, Emma takes a well-deserved breather. Okay, so she may not be completely indefatigable, but she she's pretty hardcore.

As for me, I prefer the comfort of animation. Hell, this was animated on an iPad in a bar; you'd never guess it by the grace and sophistication if the linework.

No comments: