Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Frazetta was right
According to nature.com, scientists have just uncovered a prehistoric snake called the Titanoboa that dwarfs the largest living anaconda by over seven meters. Science News quotes vertebrate paleontologist Jonathan Bloch, who states:
"[The snake] would have had trouble fitting though the door into your office."
Below: a comparison of the vertebra of the modern-day anaconda to the Titanoboa. Bottom: that's no rock under that boa constrictor, it's the fossilized vertebra of the king of snakes.
As a follow-up to my last entry about the resurrected ibex, I think we can all agree that this is one animal that does not need to be brought back from extinction. If any of you are building a time machine, I'd suggest installing snake-away spray.

2 comments:

Catherine Hicks said...

This is the coolest news I have heard in weeks!!!

Josh (musarter) said...

Good thing I don't have to worry about that thing squeezing trough my office door; oh the nightmares I would have. A snake that can swallow a cow, that is just crazy.