Tuesday, June 12, 2007







Here are a few videos I found of James Gurney, creator of Dinotopia and one of my childhood inspirations. My freshman year of CalArts, I sent James a letter telling him how much he inspired me and that, if he had any spare sketches lying around, I wouldn't mind taking them off his hands.
James was awesome enough to write me back and attach not only a visitor's pass to Dinotopia (I think I'll holiday there this Autumn, I hear it's nice there that time of year), but several original concept sketches, including the storyboard for the last page of the book. So here's the great man himself, and a few words of reptillian wisdom.

5 comments:

Jarrett said...

I had never heard of James Gurney before. Great vids!

Jeremy Spears said...

Cool man! That drawing he gave you is awesome! I'm telling you Dino's and Man...together...it makes for compelling story and character interactions. You know whats funny is that I never read the Dinotopia books, i only looked at the pictures, but I think I understand the stories just by the visuals. I'd say they were quite successful.

Josh (musarter) said...

Gurney is awesome. Someone recently gave me a copy of Dinotopia. I was blown away by the time and effort he must have put forth to complete the book.

I heard they made a crappy TV movie. It would be awesome if they gave the story the justice it deserves and made a real movie with great animation.

Ben Adams said...

Dude, that pet parakeet of his is GREAT!!! :)

Arica Tuesday said...

OH man. I was so obsessed with his stuff when I was wee, too. I'm so jealous. I want to see those sketches sometime! Time for a trip of to Emeryville...