Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mary Todd's Todd-ally Nutty Bars!


In honor of Honest Abe's 204th birthday, Heather and I baked up an American classic: Mary Todd's Todd-ally Nutty Bars!


Ingredients
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 bag (14 oz.) caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup half-and-half
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
1 cup coarsely chopped mixed nuts
1/4 cup broken pretzels
2 cups emancipation

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.

In large bowl, beat brown sugar, butter and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour and oats. Spread in pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.

Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat caramels and half-and-half over low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted. Pour caramel mixture over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks, nuts and pretzels.

Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until chocolate is softened. Cool about 1 hour or until chocolate is set. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows.

12 days...

1 comment:

Jonah Sidhom said...

OK so this is really random, but yesterday we were assigned a project in one of my graphic design classes to make an info graphic based on a recipe of our choosing. And since I'm a college student and I never cook anything I had no idea where to start... But I think this is a sign that I need to use this recipe. We're supposed to actually make it, and this sounds really good.

They don't sell emancipation at my local Kroger though.